Site plan Ground floor plan Photo by Aviad Bar Ness Photo by Aviad Bar Ness

Beit Ha'ir Museum

Location: Bialik Square, Tel Aviv
Client: Tel Aviv-Jaffa Foundation
Area: 1,600 sqm
Year: 2009
Project Architect: Yonathan Cohen
Status: Built

The City museum of Tel Aviv, locally named Beit Ha’ir, was opened to the public in December 2009 in honor of the city’s centennial. The building housed the city hall between the years 1926-1965 and then the city museum until 2001. The aim of the project was to restore the historical building that was the first civic center of the city. Together with Bialik Square, the building functioned as an urban focal point for ceremonies, celebrations, demonstrations and parades. The front facade occasionally served as balcony for performances and historical events. The aim was not only to restore the historical appearance of the building but mainly to give it another cycle of life and to enable it to function as an active and relevant civic center.

Credits:
Original architect: Moshe Cherner
Interior Design in collaboration with Dan Hasson
Project team: Yonathan Cohen, Carmit Harnik Saar, Ariel Noyman
Project management: Am-Gar Project Management Ltd.
Structural Engineer: Rotbart - Nissim Structural Eng. Ltd.